Where is Laura Lee Day Now? 2024 Update & Background

Laura Lee Day, formerly known as Laura Lee Feist, was born in 1965. Little is known about her early years before she became infamously linked to a series of serious crimes. Her first significant run-in with the law occurred when she was 17 years old, marking the beginning of a tumultuous life marked by criminal activities and troubled relationships.

In May 1982, while living in Laguna Beach, California, Laura was involved in a fatal incident with her then-boyfriend, James Kendall. The relationship ended tragically when Day shot and killed Kendall before attempting to take her own life. She claimed it was an act of self-defense due to alleged abuse, but investigators found no evidence to support her claim. This incident resulted in her first major conviction, setting the stage for her future legal troubles.

Criminal History and Early Convictions

Laura Day’s criminal history is extensive, beginning with her conviction for the murder of James Kendall. In 1982, she pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to the California Youth Authority rather than an adult prison. She served six years of a 17-year sentence before being released. After her release, she changed her name and tried to rebuild her life, but her criminal activities continued.

Throughout the 1990s, Day faced numerous legal issues, including convictions for theft, fraud, burglary, and bigamy. In 1993, she was convicted of bigamy after it was discovered she had married twice without getting a divorce from her first husband. Additionally, she was involved in an insurance fraud scheme in which she torched her own car to collect the payout. These convictions highlighted a pattern of deceit and criminal behavior that would later play a significant role in her most infamous case.

The Death of Taylor Syring

On October 5, 2012, Laura Day’s stepson, Taylor Syring, drowned during a trip to the beach in Corpus Christi, Texas. Day claimed that Taylor wanted to go to the beach after school, and she decided to take him. She recounted that after allowing him to swim without a lifejacket due to a rash, Taylor disappeared in the water. Despite her efforts to revive him, she drove Taylor to the hospital 12 miles away instead of calling 911. Taylor was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Investigators quickly became suspicious of Day’s account. They found it strange that she drove to the hospital instead of seeking immediate help from nearby emergency services. Additionally, despite knowing CPR, Day admitted she did not perform it on Taylor. Her past criminal history and the inconsistencies in her story led to her arrest on charges of child endangerment. Further investigation revealed even more disturbing details, ultimately resulting in charges of capital murder.

Trial and Conviction

In January 2013, Laura Day was charged with capital murder in addition to child endangerment. The prosecution presented evidence that contradicted Day’s version of events, including expert testimony on the conditions of the beach and the behavior of the currents. A key witness, Rene Ruiz, testified that he saw Day leave the beach calmly, even waving and smiling, which cast doubt on her claims of a frantic search and rescue attempt.

The trial lasted six days, during which the prosecution highlighted Day’s troubled past and the inconsistencies in her story. The jury found her guilty of first-degree capital murder, and she was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. The conviction marked the culmination of a series of criminal activities and a life marred by deception and tragedy.

Life in Prison and Current Status

Laura Day is currently serving her life sentence at the Christina Melton Crain Unit in Gatesville, Texas. Since her conviction, she has maintained her innocence, claiming that Taylor’s death was a tragic accident. Despite her ongoing assertions, the evidence and testimonies presented at her trial led to her imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

Her relationship with David Syring, Taylor’s father, deteriorated following her conviction. They are now divorced, and Syring has expressed regret and a sense of betrayal over his initial belief in Day’s innocence. In prison, Day continues to seek a new trial, supported by some experts who dispute the prosecution’s findings. However, she remains behind bars, with her case serving as a stark reminder of the complexities and consequences of her actions.

More 20/20: Wave of Deceit

More Feature Articles

Avatar photo

Ryan Gill

Ryan is a passionate follower of true crime television programs, reporting on and providing in-depth investigations on mysteries in the criminal world.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *